Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 7 Ommoord Netherlands


I only have like 20 minutes to write so this is the only email you will get this week. Sorry mom. my first week was great! I am serving in Ommoord with elder Shoemaker.  It is a new area that we are opening and missionaries haven't been here for a long time.  The people here are super prepared though.  We have given out like 15 book of mormons in less than a week. Our apartment is really nice.  We live on the third floor. Well it’s really the fourth because the floors here start with the 0th floor. Weird.  Well anyway I have a hard time with my companion.  He is super good at the language but we are very different and he never laughs at my jokes. haha I think he thinks I’m an idiot.  But he is teaching me a lot so he’s not too bad.  So we had to travel here from Leiden and we travel by trains but they didn't give me the card that I need to get on the trains and they said they would send me one in two weeks which sucks because the train tickets are really expensive and we ride them every day. So I am completely out of money and my credit card doesn't work here.  My debit will only work in some atms and it is seriously a miracle that it worked when I bought my bike.  I only had 100 euro and the cheapest bike we could find was 175 so I tried my card and it went through! It was awesome.  The food sucks.  All it is, is dry bread with cheese and if you’re lucky some meat too.  I eat sandwiches every day and this stuff called speculoos is sooo good.  It is like peanut butter but it tastes like gram crackers.  I make speculoos and nutella sandwiches all the time.  So we have I think 16 potential investigators and two progressing already.  All we did was contact last week and we are going to start getting appointments this week.  I will hurry and share one story that happened a few days ago.  we got home around 9 and my companions bike was low so we decided to ask the neighbor for a bike pump and as soon as she opened the door she got super excited and she invited her friend over and she told us that a few weeks ago she met this lady (now her best friend) and they were both having a lot of problems in their life’s and they got into a deep conversation about religion. Her friend decided to pray and she asked for a sign and 14 hours later someone gave her a bible and then she met us and they were so excited to hear about the book of mormon and they both committed to come to church this week. It is soo cool.  I couldn't understand anything that was going on becuase I really don't speak any dutch at all but my companion told  me all about what they were saying and I could see the excitement in their eyes.  It was really cool.  I also had to introduce myself in sacrament meeting yesterday and teach part of a lesson on the doctrine and covenants.  I messed up a lot and I'm pretty sure no one understood me.  It was a good learning experience though. Sorry I'm out of time.  I will try and write everyone soon but the world stamps are super expensive and I’m out of money so I might have to wait until next week.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment